Seaford College, Petworth
Seaford College was founded in 1884 and is sited in Lavington Park in the shadow of the South Downs.
The new boarding house is one of the UK’s first eco-friendly school buildings and was imported in sections from Germany.
It is situated within a walled garden on the school grounds designated a ‘Historic Park and Garden’ by English Heritage.
The building was designed to accommodate 90 boys in single, double and triple bedded rooms in two mirror wings. Each wing has a communal common room, with leather sofas, and a kitchen area, as well as staff accommodation.
The construction sought to better Council requirements of providing the ‘highest viable levels of energy efficiency and reduction in CO2‘ by improving the thermal fabric by use of a factory manufactured, highly sustainable off site panellised wall system (STREIF) and reducing Carbon via renewables and the provision of recessed solar thermal panels.